Saturday, January 24, 2015

Gluten Free Pancakes

Or otherwise known as Blender Banana Oat Pancakes, on the blog from where I found these yummy gems. In fact, I came across this recipe on Beauty That Moves over a year ago and I am in LOVE with these pancakes. I make them a few times a month and top them with jelly (normally strawberry but discovered today that seedless raspberry is even better!). My kids use syrup but they're boring. No one's ever had any fun by following the rules {said the most boring rule-follower ever}. (The most exciting thing I do is wear mismatched socks on a daily basis.)

Anyway, I always follow this recipe exactly, because it's always so good I've had no reason to mess with it. Well, except for when I run out of pure maple syrup and use pancake syrup instead. But no one has died yet.

I have been off and on a gluten free diet for a few years after determining that wheat was causing me stomach cramps and a lot of bloating (like a lot), but of course over the holidays the Christmas cookies were persistently calling my name and it was all downhill from there. So this month, I hopped back on the wagon and my family is slowly joining me. My 12 year old son has decided he no longer wants to eat gluten, so now that there are two of us my husband is on board with me only cooking one meal- rather than making something totally non-GF friendly then not getting to eat it. Anyway, I made these pancakes for my kids and myself this morning and my daughter (10 years old and not willingly giving up her bread products) couldn't stop raving about them. We're slowly getting there.

BLENDER BANANA OAT PANCAKES


**A couple notes. The recipe says to wait 10 minutes to let batter thicken before cooking, but I must not pay attention to directions- or am always too hungry- because I have honestly never noticed it before. Needless to say they are still great without waiting.

Also, I don't use baking powder. I recently read that baking powder contains aluminum so I have completely thrown it out of my house and won't use it. Instead, I found a baking soda/vinegar substitute and have used that in several recipes with no problem at all.

For recipes that call for 1 Tablespoon baking powder, instead use 3/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1 Tablespoon vinegar; for recipes that call for 1 teaspoon powder I instead use 1/4 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon vinegar.

Enjoy! I know I always do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey you! I welcome all comments and love to hear from you! No one likes to talk to themselves. ;)

Thanks for stopping by!